PARK AVENUE ARMORY RESTORATION BY HERZOG & DE MEURON
RENDERING OF THE DESIGN FOR A COPPER-CLAD ELEVATOR, WHICH WILL IMPROVE BUILDING CIRCULATION & CONNECT THE PROGRAMMING FLOORS
THE PARK AVENUE ARMORY RESTORATION PROJECT, DESIGNED BY RENOWNED SWISS ARCHITECTURE FIRM HERZOG & DE MEURON, REINVIGORATES THE ORIGINAL DESIGN OF THE HISTORIC 210,000-square-foot 5 story building, WHICH WAS constructed between 1877 & 1881 & occupies an entire city block.
Originally built as a military site and social club by New York State’s Seventh Regiment of the National Guard, the Armory houses one of most important collectionS of 19th-century interiors in the United States— with 18 rooms designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, the Herter Brothers, & Pottier & Stymus, among other prominent designers from the era— as well as the 55,000-square-foot Wade Thompson Drill Hall, one of the largest unobstructed spaces in NEW YORK today.
THE UPGRADE & RENOVATION DESIGN BY HERZOG & DE MEURON advancES the Armory’s mission, SUPPORTING ITS dedicatION to the creation & presentation of visual & performing artS, while maintaining the building's identity & history.
RENDERING OF THE DESIGN FOR THE REVITALISATION OF COMPANY M ON THE 2nd FLOOR [ORIGINALLY DESIGNED BY POTTIER & STYMUS & RENOVATED BY ROBINSON & KNUST in 1911]
RENDERING OF THE DESIGN FOR THE REVITALISATION OF THE WADE THOMPSON DRILL HALL [ORIGINAL ARCHITECTS CHARLES W. CLINTON & ROBERT G. HATFIELD WITH PAINTED DECORATION BY JASPER CROPSEY]
Photo by James Ewing OF THE REVITALISED COMPANY E ON THE 2nd FLOOR, WITH PUPPETRY BY ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE JULIAN CROUCH [ORIGINALLY DESIGNED BY POTTIER & STYMUS]
RENDERING FOR THE REVITALISATION OF THE FIELD & STAFF ROOM [ORIGINALLY DESIGNED BY POTTIER & STYMUS]
/ IMAGES COURTESY OF PARK AVENUE ARMORY & HERZOG & DE MEURON
SPECIAL THANKS TO Isabel Sinistore [RESNICOW SCHROEDER ASSOCIATES] & Alienor de Chambrier [HERZOG & DE MEURON]